Thursday, September 15, 2022

KC Cannot Expect to Wreck Chargers Like They Wrecked Arizona

The Los Angeles Chargers and Kansas City Chiefs started their seasons in very different ways this year. After a slow start, L.A's offense heated up and Justin Herbert spread the ball around effectively against the Las Vegas Raiders. Six different Chargers caught at least three passes in Week 1's 24-19 victory over the new Raiders regime. It wasn't all roses for the Chargers, though. Austin Ekeler averaged under 2.6 yards per carry, which made controlling the clock difficult. L.A's defense also allowed a variety of big plays to Darren Waller, Josh Jacobs and especially Davante Adams, which kept Vegas in a game that should've been decided by far more than a single possession.

Derek Carr had the ball late in the fourth quarter with a chance to score a TD to take the lead, despite throwing three picks and fumbling twice. I expect Herbert's crew to put up more than 24 on a team when the opposing QB compiles a 26.9 QBR. I'd be willing to bet my house that Patrick Mahomes will put up slightly better numbers than this, but I'm only renting. Mahomes didn't throw any picks while racking up 360 passing yards and five TD passes. Isiah Pacheco, Clyde Edwards-Helaire and Jerick McKinnon all averaged at least five yards per carry with at least four carries each. Pacheco, the 7th-round draft pick rookie, led the way with 12 carries for 62 yards on the ground. 

I ultimately think KC loses this game tonight, but I also don't think that sting will linger for too long. I'm predicting the Chiefs as the 2022 Super Bowl winners, and I promise, that was my plan before the dominant 44-21 win in Arizona. Few teams are as complete as KC, and none have the same level of supreme talent that has achieved victory in big moments. With that being said, the Chiefs could easily prove me wrong tonight by wrecking the Chargers, who honestly looked more flawed than I expected in Week 1. I have to balance my optimism for now, though, and this newly rebuilt Chiefs offense isn't going to destroy all teams like they destroyed Arizona last week.

I'm predicting a great game and a Chargers victory tonight, mainly because I have faith in them to look more like the Super Bowl contender most fans expect to see. I also think the Chiefs are the better team when it matters most, and I'd be thrilled to see these teams face off three times this season. This time around, I'm predicting a 30-27 Chargers victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment